Not My New Year’s Post…

Sometimes I wonder how I’m able to keep track of everything; it changes far too often.

Right now I’m horribly paranoid about where I’m up to with my treatment. Lots has happened this month.

I saw the consultant at the beginning of the month and she’s referred me to one of her colleagues who works on clinical trials. At first I was worried about this but I’ve come to think of it as more of a chance to get to try something that might help me that wouldn’t be available to me otherwise. Like I’m getting to queue jump or something. If I’m accepted as a candidate, that is. My appointment finally came through today after waiting for three weeks for the date and confirmation. I’m a little bit excited/optimistic about it. I hope they can come up with the goods for me.

I’ve been given the name of another professor running a trial in London which is still recruiting too; a friend is currently on the trial and it’s worked out well for her, so if I don’t get a nod from the trial here, this is another option I’ll be trying.

As well as this, Birmingham called back. The surgeon wasn’t happy that I was refused the surgery in the MDT. He called me back there and I had another MRI, and then waited seven hours (a current personal waiting-around-a-hospital record) for him to explain that his MDT voted against him but he still wants to try it. He told us that it was a very risky operation, that as well as the exenteration he would need to remove a portion of the muscle at the top of my left leg (which happens to be my ‘good’ leg, I have a limp sometimes on the other since the radiotherapy) which may cause weakness or paralysis on that side, depending on where the nerves are. Also, there’s a 5% chance of mortality with the enlarged node being next to an artery. These were the reasons it was denied in November. However, he is running it through his MDT again in January; if he gets a yay he will do it, if he gets a nay, then he’s referring me to another doctor in London – and if this other doctor says no, then he will tell me it’s inoperable.

I came home from Birmingham annoyed at having to wait for that long to be told that he wants to try to do an operation that I didn’t want. I’d gone through days of being upset about it, being confused about why he was calling me back when they’d decided against the surgery, polarising against the whole thing. Then the next day while I was at The Christie for a kidney function test I found out that one of the ladies I spent the summer waiting in the chemo unit all day with had passed away that morning and all of a sudden I needed the operation at any cost.

It kind of shook me up. That someone with the same type of cancer as I have, who was fine over the summer – in fact, in better health than I was because she was able to have all of the treatments in time on her plan as opposed to me being allergic and too low in white cells to be able to keep to schedule – could deteriorate so quickly. That someone who reassured me and pretty much held my hand through my last course of treatment, a wonderful woman and important part of our little group, is gone.

I know I’m not well. I can feel things growing and I’m having familiar pains. This, on top of the MRI and PET\CT confirming that the primary tumour is growing again.

Hopefully this will be another thing that will change pretty soon, too.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: